Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Basbousa -Sweet Semolina Cake: Ramadan Special

Basboussa is a Middle Eastern delicacy. It is an amazing cake; it's moist, sweet, delicately perfumed and has a grainy texture. I have tried this cake at different Middle Eastern restaurants and I was so eager to make it myself. After two failed attempts, my dear friend Kenza came to the rescue and shared with me her Basbousa recipe, which I am , in turn, sharing with you. It is, of course, super easy and exquisitely delicious. This cake could be served with tea or coffee.


Courtesy of Kenza

What Wou'll Need:

1 1/2 cups Semolina
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup sweetned coconut flakes
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup melted butter (cooled to room temperature)
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups almonds or pistachios for garnishing

For the Syrup:

1 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp orange juice
1 Tbsp vanilla extract


What To Do:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl (Mixture should be "liquidy")
  3. Spary a 13x9 inch pan pan with cooking spray, pour in the mixture
  4. Let rise for 45-55 min
  5. Sprinkle with almonds and Bake for 50 min or until brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean
  6. Meanwhile make sugar syrup: Combine water, sugar, and lemon juice in a saucepan
  7. Bring to a boil, add in vanilla extract, and let it simmer for 20 min
  8. Pour hot sugar syrup over cake while is hot and let it absorb. You may put it back in the oven for 3 min

Enjoy!


Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!! I will deff try this ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You better try it Misscupcakes..it's sweet:p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did anyone actually try to make this??
    I tried but It didn't come out good. first of all, the mix wasn't "liquidy" at all..I followed the instructions exactly!:(. Second the 13x9" dish was way too big for the mix.

    anyway, thanks for posting this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous,

    I am so sorry it didn't work out for you. I have been using the same measurements for years and every time it comes out just fine. I have also known people who used the same recipe and it came out just as delicious. Maybe you could have adjusted the measurements to get the liquid consistency.

    I appreciate the feedback though. Please let me know how I can help!

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Misc.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin